Student Conduct Records

What is my Disciplinary record?

Generally, when a student enters UNC Charlotte, regardless of their age, all rights afforded to parents under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, or FERPA, transfer to the student, and the student’s written consent is required for disclosure of their education records. However, FERPA also provides ways in which schools may share information with parents/guardians without the student’s consent. For example:

  • The University may disclose education records to parents if the student is a dependent for income tax purposes.
  • The University may disclose education records to parents if a health or safety emergency involves their son or daughter.
  • The University may inform parents if the student who is under age 21 has violated any law or its policy concerning the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance.
  • A University official may generally share with a parent information that is based on that official’s personal knowledge or observation of the student.

For further information on disclosure of student education records to parents, please see University Policy #402, Student Education Records, or you may contact the Office of the Registrar or the Office of Legal Affairs.

The Student Consent for Access to Education Records form will allow access to FERPA protected records.

In order to grant a person access to part or all of your student disciplinary record, Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution requires a signed FERPA consent release form. This form will be kept on file and must be resubmitted each time you wish to alter consent of another person to your record. You may withdraw consent at any time by contacting Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution.

If you need information regarding the Guest Access Portal & FERPA, please visit Niner Central.

Dean’s Certification & Disciplinary Record Check

These forms are a report on your conduct history while at UNC Charlotte and require your permission to share your educational records. These are typically requested by potential employers, institutions you are transferring to, State BARs, or federal investigative agencies. With the exception of federal investigative agencies, you must sign a FERPA waiver in order for us to provide this information (usually part of the provided form).

Dean’s Certifications are provided free of charge and only report information on violations up to 8 years from the resolution date. Any disciplinary history prior to that is not considered part of your record and would not be released.

If you are unsure what would be released on a Dean’s Certification or Disciplinary Record Check, please contact Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution to request information on your record.