A Maxient Letter sent to your Charlotte Email Address is a notification to set a meeting with Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution. Being issued a Maxient Letter may indicate that you have been charged for a possible violation of the Code of Student Responsibility and/or a Housing and Residence Life policy. Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution will send you an email, usually within one-two business days of the documented incident. Upon receipt of the email, you are requested to contact SACR to schedule your appointment with our staff.

If you fail to contact Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution within 3 business days of receiving your appointment request email, a hold may be placed on your registration until you schedule your initial meeting. If you miss a scheduled meeting without calling to inform Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution to reschedule, the case may be heard without you. It is very important to be present at your initial meeting so you are aware of your rights and responsibilities in terms of student accountability at UNC Charlotte.

You will meet with a conduct officer in either Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution or Housing and Residence Life. Depending upon the circumstances, the hearing officer may offer a resolution for the case or refer your case to a Student Accountability Board hearing panel. The hearing officer will provide you with an overview of the conduct process, and inform you of your rights and responsibilities as outlined in the Code of Student Responsibility. You will be presented with information concerning your alleged policy violation. You will then be given the opportunity to convey what happened during the incident. From this information, the hearing officer will determine if there is preponderance of the evidence or “more likely than not” that you are either “responsible” or “not responsible” of the alleged charge(s). If you are found “responsible,” the university official will seek to offer a Mutual Resolution with appropriate educational outcomes. Accepting the Mutual Resolution will waive your right to a hearing and you will be required to complete the assigned educational outcomes by the assigned due date. If you are found “not responsible,” no educational outcomes will be applied.

If you disagree with the decision of your hearing officer, you have the option of not accepting the offered mutual resolution. After declining a mutual resolution, your case will be scheduled for a hearing. A hearing is a formal resolution option involving a Student Hearing Panel, an Administrative Hearing Panel, or Administrative Hearing Officer (AHO). During the hearing, the assigned panel or AHO will make a determination of responsibility on the alleged charges and recommend appropriate educational outcomes (if applicable).

A key difference between an Mutual Resolution and Hearing is the right to appeal. As described in the Notice of Outcome letter for a hearing, you can appeal the outcome of hearing within five days of written notice of the decision.

Appeals are limited to:

  1. a violation of due process; or
  2. a material deviation from Substantive and Procedural Standards adopted by the Board of Governors, set forth in Board of Governors’ Policy 700.4.1.

Failure to complete a sanction by the assigned deadline will place a hold on your registration and you will be unable to register for classes until you resolve the issue. Failure to complete a sanction may also result in an additional charge of Failure to Comply in certain situations. If you need an extension you may contact the hearing officer for your case or Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution before your due date. Extensions are only granted for unforeseen circumstances and are at the discretion of Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution staff. Requests for extensions on educational outcomes the day before the assigned due date or the day of the assigned due date will not be granted

There are a variety of reasons why Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution places registration holds on student’s accounts. Commonly occurring reasons include, but are not limited to:

  • a student has failed to contact Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution to schedule a conduct meeting.
  • a student has failed to complete his/her assigned sanction(s) by the deadline.
  • a student may be currently suspended or expelled from the University.
  • a student may be currently interim suspended from the University.

If you have a registration hold regarding a conduct matter, contact Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution at 704-687-0336 or via email at to talk with a staff member.

If you are found “responsible” for the violation of a UNC Charlotte policy through the Accountability Process, you will have a student disciplinary record. Your student disciplinary record will generally contain the applicable incident report(s), meeting and decision letters, and other documents related to student disciplinary incidents you have been involved in while a UNC Charlotte student. Disciplinary records are confidential and subject to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act. This federal law means only certain University staff, including Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution and/or Residential Life Office, has access to your student disciplinary records.

You may, however, sign an authorization to release your student disciplinary records to another person or organization (e.g. parent/guardian or Study Abroad program). Student Disciplinary files are maintained for eight (8) years following the ending date of the last outcome. For cases of suspension or expulsion, the files may be maintained for a longer period of time. The University reserves the right to retain all student disciplinary files for longer than eight (8) years, as deemed necessary.

Underage students (less than 21 years of age) found responsible for drug and/or alcohol violations that receive an educational outcome of conduct probation or higher may result in parental notification from Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution.