Informal Resolution

If the student has no prior academic misconduct, the instructor responsible for assigning the final grade for the course can offer an Informal Resolution. If the allegation is a (1) severe first offense, (2) second or subsequent offense, (3) the student declines an Informal Resolution, or (4) a more severe penalty is deemed appropriate, a Facilitated Resolution or Formal Resolution (Hearing) may be necessary. If you would like to discuss resolution options, please contact our office.

End of Semester Notice: In cases where the Academic Misconduct adjudication process is not complete by the time course grades are due, the Faculty Member must assign the student an Incomplete in the course. The course grade will be updated once the case has been resolved.

Please submit all completed Informal Resolutions via the Submission Form by the corresponding deadlines. If you need to submit an Academic Integrity Charge Form for a student who is not eligible for an Informal Resolution or you have been unable to get into contact with the student, please also submit those by the corresponding deadlines. If you have questions or concerns regarding these deadlines, please email

Submission Deadlines

Fall 2023 TermJanuary 10, 2024
Spring 2024 TermMay 27, 2024

If an Informal Resolution is deemed appropriate, please follow the steps below:

Step 1: Contact Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution

  • Email in order to determine what resolution options are available. Please be sure to use your UNC Charlotte email account and include the student’s first and last name, and University ID number.

Step 2: Meet with the Student

  • We believe a conversation between the instructor and student regarding the concerning behavior is an essential part of the Informal Resolution process. Informal Resolution meetings can occur in person, via phone, or through video conferencing.
  • During the meeting, discuss your concerns and present any relevant information/documentation. Provide the student an opportunity to share their perspective.
  • If through the conversation you believe there is sufficient evidence to suggest that an academic integrity violation occurred and that the student is responsible for misconduct, you can then offer the Informal Resolution.
  • If a student withdraws after you have informed them of the pending violation, the academic misconduct process may still continue. If this occurs, please contact Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution to discuss this with our staff.

Step 3: Complete the Informal Resolution Form

  • The form can be accessed here.
  • Explain the form and what the outcome(s) mean to the student.
  • Inform the student they have three (3) business days to make a decision on the resolution. During this time, they can consult with Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution to discuss their options before they sign the form.
  • Scan or save the form as a PDF so it can be emailed to the student for review.
    • Tip: On the online Informal Resolution form, there is a “print” button located on both pages. If you select this, a print preview box should appear that will allow you to select your printer. On the drop down menu for available printers, there will likely be a “Save as PDF” or “Adobe PDF” option that will allow you to save the resolution.

Step 4: Email the Informal Resolution to the Student

  • After having a conversation with the student, the Informal Resolution can be sent to their University email account for their review. It is not recommended to send the resolution to non-University accounts.
  • We understand you may not be able to get a physical signature, however, it is important that the student either accept or decline the offered Informal Resolution. If the student has access to a printer, they can print the resolution, complete their portion, and either scan or take a picture of the resolution and email their response to you. If the student does not have access to a printer, they can accept or decline the resolution by responding to your email with “I accept the resolution and understand I am waiving my right to a hearing and appeal” or “I decline the resolution.” Responses must come from their University email account. Further guidance on what you may want to include in your email to the student is below.
    • If a student declines the Informal Resolution or you are unable to get in contact with a student after a reasonable amount of time has passed, please submit the Academic Integrity Charge Form.

Step 5: Submit the form to Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution

  • Completed forms must be turned in to Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution within three (3) business days of the student communicating if they have accepted or declined the resolution.
  • If the student accepts the resolution, completed forms can be submitted here.
    • As part of the evidence, please include the email correspondence you had with the student regarding their acceptance of or declining of the resolution.

Email Guidance:

Consider including the following information in your email to the student:

  • Provide a brief summary of your phone or video conference conversation and ask them to review the attached resolution.
  • Give the students the following information on how they can accept or decline the resolution and the date they need to inform you of their decision by:
    • You have the right to accept or decline the resolution. You can do so by:
      1. Print the attached resolution. Select either option 1 or option 2. Under your selected option, please initial next to the statement(s), sign and date it. You can email a scanned copy of the signed form and/or take a picture of it and email me the picture.
      2. If you do not have access to a printer, you can reply to this email to let me know if you accept or decline the resolution. Please state either “I accept the resolution and understand I am waiving my right to a hearing and appeal” or “I decline the resolution.”
    • You have 3 business days to review the information. Please let me know your decision by ___________(date). If I do not hear from you, I will assume you have declined the resolution and may refer your case on to Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution for resolution.
    • If you have further questions, please let me know. Student Accountability & Conflict Resolution staff is also available, and they can be reached at 704-687-0336 or by emailing